Departure from Sarlat
Available on Thursday, Friday and Sunday.
From April to October included (not available in August)
From 09:00 to 18:00
Some 15,000 years B.C. unknown artists created breathtaking cave
paintings of which the most extraordinary examples are found in the
Dordogne area. During this day you will be introduced to this
fascinating art and to the people who made it.
Begin the day in Les Eyzies de Tayac for a guided visit of the National Prehistory Museum. Opened in 2004, this national museum possesses the largest collection of prehistoric artifacts in the world.
Continue to Montignac where you will visit Lascaux IV cave, a perfect reproduction of the original cave. Opened in 2016, Lascaux IV is a triumph of technology. Unlike any other cave visits, Lascaux 4 is employing different set designs, displays, state-of-the-art interactive workshops and immersive technology to bring it to life. In fact, the atmosphere inside the replica cave is just like that of a real cave: dark, damp and muffled.
Finally, end the tour with the visit of Rouffignac Cave that possesses original and authentic etchings and drawings. The Rouffignac cave was already mentioned in 1575 by François de Belleforest. In his Cosmographie universelle he cites “paintings and animal traces”. In the 19th century the cave was known as a tourist attraction. Famous archaeologists like Henry Breuil, André Glory and Martel had visited the cave in the early 20th century, but it was only in 1956 when Louis-René Nougier and Romain Robert, two prehistorians from the Pyrenees, rediscovered and confirmed the cave art. After the visit, return to Sarlat.
Inclusions / Exclusions
1. Entrance to Lascaux IV
2. Entrance to Rouffignac cave
3. English visit of the Prehistory museum
4. English speaking driver guide
5. Travel in recent, comfortable & fully equipped minivans
6. Free Wifi access on board
1. Personal insurance & expenses
2. Gratuities for the driver/guide
3. Meals & drinks
4. Entrance fees to monuments or attractions other than those mentioned
In Sarlat la Canéda: Place Pasteur - Bus stop
Pick up information
Hotel pickup not available
Tour returns at departure point
- Maximum 8 persons per tour
- Tour requires minimum 2 passengers (adults) to operate
- Tour is operated in English unless otherwise stated.
- Electric train visit in Rouffignac, comments made in French during time of travel. Guide will introduce cave beforehand and will make commentaries at the bottom of the cave in English.
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible
- Prices are listed as a guide only
- Children aged 4 - 12 years: half price
- Not suitable for infants under age of 4
- Prices are per person
- Currency is in Euro
Possible languages: English